Tax Returns - Personal, Capital Gains & Corporation Tax


Personal Tax Returns/Self Assessment


If you are registered as self employed, trading in a partnership or are the Director of a Limited company then it is a legal requirement that you complete an annual tax return (also called self assessment).  Likewise, if you are a higher rate tax payer you are required to complete an annual tax return.


Completing your tax return can be a daunting task and is often one of those "must do" duties that is put off until the very last minute, which can inevitably cause more stress.  If you are having trouble completing your tax return or don't know what you are allowed to claim on your tax return we can help to relieve that stress by calculating your income tax liabilities and completing & filing your tax return with HMRC on your behalf.



Capital Gains Tax (CGT)


Capital Gains Tax becomes payable when you sell an item of value (an asset) and make a profit from that sale.  There is a tax-free allowance for CGT which enables you to make some profit before having to pay tax and there are a few items that are not taxable.  The CGT tax-free allowance for the 2020/2019 tax year is £12,000 and for the 2018/2019 tax year was £11,700.  If you think you may be liable to CGT or need any help please contact us.  



Corporation Tax Returns


As well as preparing your company's statutory accounts (year end accounts), The Book Monitor can calculate your corporation tax liability, complete the CT600 corporation tax return and submit this to HMRC on your behalf.



Back to Services



Frequently Asked Questions:


Q: Who needs to complete a tax return?


A: If you’re a director of a limited company, a partner in a partnership or registered as self employed you need to complete a tax return.  If you are an employee then, unless you are a higher rate tax payer or you have a lot of income from investments (such as shares or dividends) then you probably don’t need to complete a tax return.



Q: What is classed as income when you are a sole trader/self employed?


A: Income covers payments you’ve received from customers (known as income from self-employment), interest you’ve earned on your bank account, dividend payments you’ve received from investments, income from a pension (both state and private pensions), rental income, some state benefits, pensioners bonds and trust income.



Q: Is there anything that isn’t included in the income section of a tax return?


A: Yes, you don’t include interest received on personal ISAs or savings certificates, the first £4,250 you receive in rent if you have a lodger in your home-the Rent A Room Scheme (NB this is split if letting jointly), working tax and child tax credits or any win you may have received on the premium bonds.



Q: What expenses can be put through on a tax return?


A: HMRC describes an allowable expense as being something that is “wholly, exclusively & necessarily for carrying on and earning profits of your business”.  This means you can include all expenses and costs associated with running your business.  E.g. the cost of buying in any products that you sell, any wages you pay to staff, the cost of renting premises and utility bills, the cost of maintaining and repairing the premises and equipment you use, travelling expenses directly related to your business, finance costs, administration costs (which includes things like professional fees & relevant professional subscriptions, stationery, postage, printing, telephone, accountants fees, etc). You can not include any expenses that are not "wholly, exclusively & necessarily" used by your business (so anything you also use for business and personal use is not allowed).


Contact us today!

If you would like more information or wish to make an appointment please contact us:


T: 01438 814753 / M: 07795 832597



or use the Contact Us page.

Useful Links

Print Print | Sitemap
The Book Monitor Ltd is registered in England & Wales, company registration number 8478229. Licensed and regulated by the Association of Accounting Technicians to provide services in accordance with licence no. 4636. © The Book Monitor Ltd 2020.